Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bummer...

Well, I guss I'm just doomed on this trip with trying to upload images. I'm using the nice new Dell system in the business center at the Wyndham in Missoula, MT... I thought that would work great... nope, still blows off. I did find that I can upload 1 image at a time, but then they appear in reverse order.... I'll know next time.... those 12 megapixel images are apparently just too large for the public internet connections.....

So, here are the images (and story) in reverse order... Those who are dyslexic will be just fine...

Here's Mike getting ready to experience the "Wind in your hair, Bugs in your teeth", but on the plus side, his gas mileage is going to be incredible! Check out Mikes blog for "the rest of the story". A piece of gravel got into the drive belt and snapped it, in the middle of nowhere of course. No cell service, only a passing car every 5-10 minutes. I told Mike to take my bike & ride back to the last little town, but luckily we caught a passing car & he was able to get a ride back...


Here's what a very disgusted biker looks like when the drive belt is laying broken on the ground. I stayed with the bikes for a couple hours when a tow truck with Mike in it showed up. It was an absolutely beautiful place to spend a couple hours, there was a river about 15 feet away, with rushing rapids, nice place to just sit & enjoy the peace and quiet. And, when the truck showed up, Mike had a nice cold beer for me! He brought me an ice cold "Moose Drool" beer... what a guy!

This is very near where we broke down, the road follows the river for around 100 miles. We've ridden this road before & will probably be back again (hopefully under better conditions).


This is the beginning of the road... last time we were here, the sign was larger & 22 miles up the road.... it said 77 miles at the time. I have it on my Fotki site, labeled as "The entrance to biker heaven". Now they've made the sign smaller & moved it back to 99 miles......


Coming into Lewiston, Idaho from the north is pretty spectacular. We were climing for hours this morning, but the descent into Lewiston is more than 2000 feet down a sheer plateau wall. This is a view from near the top. There were "runaway truck" ramps every 1/2 mile or so, it was that steep. And big signs reassuring the truckers that there was "no fine for using runaway truck ramps", I've never seen that before... That's Lewiston, ID and Clarkston, WA below. This is on the Lewis and Clark trail. The river that you can barely see is 1/4 mile wide, and the one that we're about to follow to the east.




Oh well, we're "stuck" in a nice Wyndham hotel across the street from the Harley shop in Missoula, MT. The bike shoud be ready mid-afternoon & we'll see where we end up tomorrow. remember, it's not the destination, it's the journey, and this is just a part of it. Mike & I have both broken down (with Kathy & Mary Jo) in various parts of the country.... just a part of riding long distances.


No comments: